About Jo Ann "Joan" Leslie
Click here to see testimonials about Joan Leslie.
Areas of Practice
- Wills, trusts, estate planning, guardianship, probate & estate administration.
Licenses and additional Certifications
- Admitted, State Bar of Texas, 2005
- Board Certified as a specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law -- Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- The University of Texas at Austin, B.A., 2000
- Texas Wesleyan University School of Law, J.D., 2005
- Member, College of the State Bar of Texas (honorary society membership since 2007)
- Member, Real Estate Probate and Trust Section, State Bar of Texas
- Member, Probate, Trusts & Estate Section, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, Tax Section, Dallas Bar Association
- Member, Downtown Dallas Probate Attorneys Mentor Program, Dallas Bar Assocation
- Member, Dallas Estate Planning Council
to attending law school, Joan worked as a finaicial planning analyst
and later as a Realtor. While obtaining her J.D., Joan served as a law
clark with the Internal Revenue Service Estate and Gift Tax group
in Dallas (SBSE Group) and continued her clerkship there for a year
after graduating from law school. Joan went on to practice for two
Board Certified Estate Planning and Probate specialist attorneys by the
Texas Board of Legal Specialization ("TBLS"), first: a Dallas tax and
estate planning "Texas Super Lawyer", Mr. David Adler, Esq. (voted as
such for years 2005 through 2010, consecutively, by Law and Politics
legal journal; TBLS certified in 1995, and later, a Dallas probate and
estate administration boutique firm, Staubus & Randall, LLP for Mr.
Ryan Randall, Esq. (TBLS certified 1995).
is a member of several estate planning and probate sections and participates in private “study groups” with other estate planning and probate attorneys. Her active participation within the estate planning and probate community helps to ensure that Joan not only stays current with ongoing law changes but shares and receives advice from other leaders within the estate planning and probate communities to provide the most comprehensive, specialized yet practical legal solutions for her clients.
Joan is a certified
attorney ad litem by the State Bar of Texas and regularly receives
various ad litem and guardianship court appointments from all three of
the Dallas County Probate Courts, ranging from Probate- Determination of Heirship Proceedings, Guardianship of Person proceedings (including but limited to guardianship of minor children after death of parents, guardianship of special needs children, guardianship of alleged adult incapacitated persons, guardianship of alleged adult incapacitated persons as wards of the State), and in Guardianship of Estate proceedings, and appointments as successor guardian. She has practiced in the probate courts in Dallas County, Tarrant County, Denton County, and Collin County, and the county courts at law in Ellis County, Kaufman County, Henderson County, Van Zandt County, and Smith County.
Joan, her husband, and their young son live in the "M-Streets"/ Lakewood area of East Dallas. Joan works part- time in her law practice and while also staying at home with her active toddler son. She is a Parishioner at St. Thomas Aquinas Catholic Church in Dallas.